Thursday, June 21, 2012

Getting Started - Wedding Dress

I am so excited to share this post with you! I have started the wedding dress. Well, demo mode anyway.  If you haven't seen it before, this is the dress I started with (in ivory, not champagne). The bodice and outer layer will be remade, the inner layers will remain the same, and the sash...well, I just don't know what I am doing with it. 

Also, since this is a December wedding, I plan to add a shrug. My original plan was to make the shrug out of lace, but it may end up satin instead. It just depends on what I can find to make it out of. 

For those of you who don't know, our wedding is going to be very country with the guys wearing Wrangler 47 MWZ pre-washed jeans and my girls wearing boots with their dresses. In order to be uniquely me, I plan to make my dress out of denim, with some satin and lace to keep a traditional feel.I am so blessed to say that Wrangler has GENEROUSLY provided the exact material that the jeans are made of for my endeavor. The only problem is that they couldn't pre-wash the denim without streaking it so I will have to find a way to was it myself before ever letting it touch the satin as the blue from the denim could bleed onto the satin. The outer skirt is one HUGE piece, instead of sections pieced together, so I have no idea how to wash it without the streaking issues that they had at the factory. If you have any hints, tips or tricks, please feel free to share them. 

The first step was taking the dress apart at the seams.  It was a tedious process but it was so much fun sharing this time and experience with my sweet little girl. 

When you undertake a project like this, it's important to have some extra hands to pull gently as you pull the seams. Just be sure they don't pull too hard so as not to rip any material. Also, when dealing with fabric, remember to wash your hands and working surface so that you don't stain your fabric.

Although very wrinkled from storage, this beautiful piece is the inner layers of the skirting, the part of the original dress that will be part of the new dress.

 This is the original bodice, made for a shorter bodied woman, and of course, not denim.

This is the original outer skirt, beautiful and full, but also, not denim. I will use this piece as the pattern and remake this exact piece out of the 47 MWZ denim. I am thinking of making this part removable, to make dancing easier. 

I know that several of you are following along with the process and I just thank you so much! I can't wait to share the finished product with you! Check back soon!

No comments: