Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wedding Dress....the creation...

Good morning! I am so glad you stopped by! Whoa, I sound like Mr. Rogers. Okay, so let's skip all the salutations and move right along. 

We are so busy right now, with work and kids and remodeling a house for some friends (a TOTAL remodel of a huge house) so I haven't had much time at the sewing machine, but I have been stealing every spare second and I am slowly making some progress. The first step in making my dress is the corset. I am wearing a corset under the bodice of my dress to help give the shape I want as well as to give support a little better than a simple strapless or long-line bra. I was going to make the bodice of the dress with a built-in corset, but I have changed my mind on that so that if my daughter or someone else wants to wear the dress later on, taking it in would be much easier than having to take in 5 layers of bodice and corset. 

Right now I am working on my very first corset ever. It's kind of exciting and fun. I may have to make another as we get closer to time, since I am hoping to order the Insanity workout next week, and will most likely need a smaller size. But for now, I wanted to share my progress on the first steps of making my wedding dress. 

In order to preserve my patterns for later use, I trace the size I need onto wax paper with a Sharpie and use that for my pattern so that the original stays in tact.

The most tedious part of any sewing project for me is the tracing and cutting out of the pattern pieces and the fabric. Sometimes it just stresses me out, but I digress. Once the patterns are all traced onto the wax paper, I pin them to the test fabric (muslin) to create my mock-up for fitting purposes. 

You'll notice that I trace every note, line and arrow, so that I actually have a complete pattern in the size I need. This allows me to put away the original pattern and rely solely on the wax paper copy, preventing any accidents. 

Then I follow the instructions to piecing the garment together and create my "muslin" or test fitting piece. 

If any changes need to be made, they will be marked right onto the fabric and those marks transferred onto the wax paper so that I have those for any future copies of the same garment. You would use this if you really liked this piece and wanted to make another one in another fabric color, style, or texture. This fits swimmingly, so on to the next step: starting with the actual fabric with washing, drying, cutting, and then piecing! Hope to have that for you soon, be patient friends, the wedding isn't until December!!

 

No comments: