Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Adventures in Gardening

Well, last year's attempt at gardening was a huge failure. Grass took over and I became overwhelmed and gave up. So, now with freshly weedblocked gardens and a new understanding of perennials and annuals, I have started over again.

At Mom's we have about 150 linear foot of full sun beds, and 20 or so of shade. Our strawberries from last year came back strong. Tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, and bell peppers are planted in the veggie section.

In the flower sections, I have a few small pink flowers that came back from last year but are already giving in to the heat of the day, some orange wildflowers that were gorgeous early spring but have also begun to fade. The glorious Iris around the maple tree that bloomed in full beauty about a month or two ago. And the roses bushes...oh my, they are thriving this year. Even the one that had the patio poured on top of it and crawled its way out the side. It did not yield a single bud last year, but is covered in deep red roses this year.

I planted green and purple sweet potato vines and petunias yesterday to add ground cover and color to the full sun beds. I am excited because both of these are known to spread well with proper water so hopefully they will fill the beds with color. I also planted four coleus in two different varieties.

I don't know yet what I will put in the shade beds, as I planted seeds in them in March and they didn't make it.

I am trying to plant more perennials and propagate my own plants so that I can fill my garden with color and save money as well. We know that this may be Mom's last summer with us, so we try to make her yard a beautiful place for her to be, since that is pretty much the only place she goes.

I hope to be able to get a few hanging plants and fill her other pots before her birthday on Saturday, then maybe we can get her to come out and have dinner in the patio and see her new garden.

No comments: