Thursday, January 21, 2010

Self-Esteem Makeover Challenge - Week 1 Day 4



Today is building day and today we are building our face. Now this is not a post about how you should go to Merle Norman and buy $4000 worth of make-up. There is more to a woman’s face than that. We’re more focusing on our countenance today. Webster’s dictionary defines countenance as “especially : the face as an indication of mood, emotion, or character”. Sarah, Rachel, Bathsheba, Abigail and Esther are all mentioned in the Bible for their countenance – their beautiful character, the character of a woman after God’s own heart - while the only woman who is mentioned for artificial make-up is Jezebel and what did it say she did in 2 Kings? “She painted her face and tired her head.” If you don’t know that story, the next thing that happened was she was killed and called a “cursed woman”.

So today we will learn how to “Let the beauty of the Lord be upon us (Psalm 90:17)” by accepting His love for us. Then by allowing His beauty to fill our hearts, we will have that beautiful countenance that will proceed us no matter how much or how little make-up we are wearing.

What does God see in you that is beautiful?

Your mind: Philippians 4:8-9 reminds us, “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things..” Lovely thinking brings beautiful thoughts, and beautiful thoughts are the foundation for a peaceful and beautiful countenance.

Your smile: Probably the best kept beauty secret going is the radiant smile that is found on the face of a happy, joyful woman. Remind yourself daily of the greatness of YOUR God and the great love that He has for YOU! Psalm 139:14 “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”

Your eyes, as unique as you are: Do your best to keep your sights on the goodness of God. Protect your eyes from evil. Keep them singly focused on what is godly and good. Matthew 6:22 reminds us, “The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.”

Your mouth, even more importantly your speech: Proverbs 16:24 tells us, “Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.” Everyone is attracted to the beauty of a mouth that speaks kind and pleasant words! You can also use your words to encourage and uplift others.

Hands that are beautiful in service: Psalm 90:17 says, “And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.”

Feet that spread the gospel of peace: Romans 10:15 reminds us, “How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!”

Can you see all the ways that God has already made you beautiful before you even put any cosmetics on your face? Because of this knowledge, you can carry yourself with a beautiful countenance, knowing that you are BEAUTIFUL in His sight.

Am I saying that you shouldn’t wear cosmetics? Absolutely not. That is each woman’s individual decision. Seek God’s face and feel secure in what you decide. If you wear make-up, do so modestly so as not to gain a reputation like our infamous Jezebel. Also, remember to clean and refresh your face, whether you wear make-up or not.

One of my favorite things, one thing that makes me feel better, reminds me that I am beautiful, is a facial. I’ve never had a professional facial, as I’m not one to spend much money on things like that, but I got one of those $10 kit things from Wal-Mart and when my countenance is down, when I forget that God has given me traits that make me beautiful to Him, I take some “me time” and turn on some soft music and give myself at at-home facial. I read Bible verses that tell me how beautiful I am, like the ones listed in this post, and I praise Him for making me His own. When I finish my facial, not only is my face refreshed and renewed, but so are my countenance and my confidence.

So that’s your challenge today. Take some time alone with God and His Word and give yourself a physical and a countenance facial. See if it just doesn’t brighten your day a little.


No comments: