Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Self-Esteem Makeover Challenge - Day 1


So many women are like me, they lack self-esteem. Maybe you, like me are the woman in the picture, in so many ways just "not enough". Now I can blame my low self-esteem on many things going back to early childhood, but truly, the blame now lies on me. I am the only one in this world with the power to do something about my self-confidence. My husband would call it a "heart problem" and really I believe that's exactly what it is. We call it self-esteem but it is more self-WORTH. I am not worthy of love, beauty, whatever...because I am too stupid, ugly, fat, whatever. Insert yours here: I am not worthy of _______ because I am too ___________. This is the darkness where our demon resides.

Paul reminds us to "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."(Romans 12:3) Now most people take this verse from the pride point of view, which is more than likely Paul's intention, but we also have to remember that God is a God of balance, if he wants us not to be prideful, than the opposite is also true, he doesn't want us to think too little of ourselves as well. Think of yourself with sober judgment, he says. Being beat down is as anti-sober as being prideful, so we must find a way to beat it.

I do believe that we are supposed to take care of our bodies, eat right and work out so that we may present ourselves as attractive to our husbands and also so that we are in good health to participate in God's work. I Corinthians 6 tells us that our bodies are a temple of the Lord and I Corinthians 7 tells us that if we are married, our bodies belong to our spouse. So I do think that we need to work on these things if they are not in shape. Mostly, though, I believe that nearly every single one of us women who has low self esteem, has physical fitness issues that we need to work on. So I encourage you to work out in some way at least 5 days a week. One of the best ways is to find a buddy. A friend can help keep you accountable and be a big step in encouraging.

Enough of the physical though, the Bible tells us in I Peter 3:3-4 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." That is why we are here today. As I work on my body, which I will be doing, I will also be working on my view of myself and I encourage you to join me. Many of you have participated in, or at least heard of The Love Dare and now I am challenging you to my own Love Yourself Dare. For the next 45 days, I will be posting once a day, something that you can do to improve your self-view.

Today's challenge is simple: Take a post it, notecard or piece of paper and write or print on it I Peter 3:3-4 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." To remind yourself for the next 45 days that you are of GREAT WORTH to God. Put it somewhere that you can see it. Maybe make one for your work computer and one for your vanity or bathroom mirror.

I challenge you to join me over the next 45 days, if you choose to accept this challenge, will you drop a comment, please? Help encourage others to jump on board. It is my prayer that 45 days from now, I have new friends who can look at themselves in the mirror and see the beauty that God sees.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

This sounds like not only something I need to do, but also something that I need to involve my teen and tween age daughters in. We (okay they don't know it yet) are going to join you for this challenge.

Kaci Lusk said...

Colleen, that is AWESOME. I think that it is CRUCIAL to encourage healthy self-esteem in our daughters. Kudos to you! Thanks for joining me.

Sandi C said...

I'm in with ya Kaci!!!