Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Kitchen Floor - Stained!!

Staining floors is not a difficult process. I think the hardest part so far has been the orbital sander, that was not fun. Even the big drum sander wasn't as bad as that little mean thing.

If this is your first time to my blog, be sure to hit the "harwood floor" link in the label list on the left, you will get all the posts in this process to see how I got to this point. I had to take a break for a minute because my beloved was down in his back, but I'm back and my kitchen floor is stained and ready for lacquer!

All you need is you can of stain, clean floors, and a few rags. I use the cotton t-shirt rags from ACE. Dip one rag in the stain and don't ring it too much. Then you simply wipe it onto the floor.

Wood will only take as much stain as it will take. Wipe it on generously, then come behind with a dry rag and wipe the excess away. (The wood here was so dry that I had no need to wipe the excess. I simply wiped the stain onto the wood and went on.)

This floor has come a very long way from that ugly green speckled laminate that we started with and I am just as pleased as can be.

Was all the hard work worth it? All the steaming, scraping, sanding and staining? Look at this GORGEOUS floor...it has been most definately worth it.

Next step: polyurethane. I will not be doing this step. I have a seizure disorder and my darling husband is worried about me inhaling all the fumes. He will be doing the poly and I will post pics as soon as I can!!



P.S. Sorry about the delay, the next edition of Homemade Christmas, including candle winners will be posted tomorrow
!!

No comments: