Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lessons from Stripping Paint

Last night, my biggest task was to take this trim and strip it down to the wood. This picture is not the door frame that I did, but I forgot to take before pics so you're stuck with this picture of another door in my house that I am NOT going to strip. But anyway, the door I did strip looked just like this. That is paint on top of Kilz 2 on top of 90 year old varnish and stain.

We found out by accident that Paso will take off paint, so we tested a small area
Sure enough, the Paso took the paint and stain off, leaving beautiful wood. But this was hard work. Took me 45 minutes to do an area about the size of a dollar bill.

So I talked to my friend (the wife of a cabinet builder) and the wonderful guys at our local Ace. I told them what I was doing, that I had VERY little ventilation and that I didn't want to be scrubbing all night. Also they all know me and know I'm a klutz so major tools were out of the question. I ended up with this stuff
I applied a layer of the gel with a paint brush, went home and fixed dinner (took about 30 minutes) and came back.

The paint was all gooey and WIPED right off, leaving beautiful wood.
There was some residue and it didn't eat the caulking that was put on there before the paint, but it did soften it, so with a little bit of work that came off too. Then you wipe down the wood with Mineral Spirits to remove the residue and you end up with a fresh surface ready to stain whatever color you want.

So, I have a little clean up to do tonight, but that's no big deal, and my gorgeous trim is saved and will be stained to match the beautiful cabinets that my hubby and Aaron made for me.

So while I was working, I was praying that God would show me how to apply it in my life and He showed me MY life.

As we go through life, we get coated with years of stress, strain, bad choices, poor decisions, horrible life experiences and the consequences of all of these. We try salves and chemicals, we try scraping and sanding, we try it all to get it all off of us, to make our lives beautiful again...but its all so much work. We get tired, we get discouraged, we give up.

Then One tells us "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

Rest, oh, sweet rest! "Really??" we shout, "can You provide that rest. Don't you know, can't you see what I'm covered in??? I'm too dirty for you to do anything with." You can fill in the blanks here. I was too ugly because.....it could be drugs, alcoholism, prostitution, lies, fornication, adultery, theft, homosexuality, it doesn't matter. God says "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (I Cor. 10:13)

HE WILL PROVIDE A WAY OUT!!! That's my favorite part of that verse. God is our Citristrip. He takes all of those ugly things we've done, He pours the blood of the Son all over then and wipes them right off, leaving only that beautiful, clean, new creation. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (2 Cor. 5:17)

If you have hurt, pain, fear, know this...He knows and He doesn't care. Let Him strip away all of it and make you new!!

If you need more information, check out this website. If I can pray for you today, please let me know.

No comments: