Friday, August 22, 2008

Jesus Calms the Storm

I am singing a song at church on Sunday called Sometimes It Takes A Storm and was inspired by my Pastor to know what it meant. To be able to walk the sermon brought forth in the words of the song. Not only did God teach me what it meant in the weeks that I have prepared and learned the song, but He taught me so much in researching what the Word says. Thank you, Pastor Bill, for challenging me.

Mark 4: 35-41
35 And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side. 36 And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships. 37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. 38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? 39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? 41And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

Here we have a first hand account from Mark telling of this day. A day when the faith of the disciples was tested and questioned. A day when Jesus showed the power of the Father. But its not just Mark’s story, they were all there and two more of them spoke of this exact incident in their testimonies in the Word. (Matthew 8:23-27 & Luke 8:22-25)

I feel so sorry for Christians who enter Christianity believing that this new life will be pain free and easy. God never promises that to us when He tells us what awaits us when we sacrifice our lives for the one He means for us. The only things He promises is that “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” (II Cor. 5:17). The new creature is not devoid of hard times or struggles, he or she just has a new way of dealing with it, should they choose to do so.

The Word tells us in Psalm 46 that “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.” (Ps. 46:1-3). It gives us a pure and simple way to make it through…a solid foundation in Him.

He tells us in Matthew 7: 24-27 “24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.”

If we build our lives up on the solid foundation that is Christ Jesus, then we can weather any storm. No matter how strong, how devastating, we will fall not, for we are founded on a ROCK!

He is our shelter, our “refuge” and our strength. No matter how gray the skies our how rough the waters, we will see through to the sunshine if we stand fast in our faith and seek shelter in Him.

In my life, I have weathered many storms…divorce, my small children moving over 1,000 miles away, losing 2 grandmothers in one month, drug addiction, and more; but I have made it through and live today to tell you about it. Some have asked me in times of trouble, “How are you dealing with this?” My only answer to that is, “The only way I know how, by faith.” I must seek shelter in Jesus and trust that He and I will make it through together. My life is not devoid of rough weather, but praise God that I don’t sail this sea alone!

If I can pray for you today, please do not hesitate to let me know!

No comments: