Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Entertaining Angels

I have been drawn to figure out my own personal interpretation of the meaning of the Newsboys’ song Entertaining Angels because a friend of mine asked me what it meant.

Before I began I went to the Word and found the only mention I could find of entertaining angels in Hebrews 11:2 “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”

In studying out this verse I have learned that entertaining strangers comes from the Greek “philonexia,” which is simply hospitality. Then in the next sentence, entertained is from the Greek “xenizo,” which is to be a host; and the word angels is from the Greek “aggelos,” which is translated as “messenger” throughout scripture.

I find that the verse is more talking about our hospitality to strangers, friends, and messengers of God than actual angels. Especially if you continue to the next verse when it speaks of them that are in bonds and asks us to remember them. I think in this text we are simply being called once again to be Christ-like and treat others with love and compassion.

So with this study having been done, my interpretation of the Newsboys’ song is pretty simple.

He is speaking to his friend, his closest friend, Jesus. He has walked away from Him and is feeling the distance. He calls out to Him and asks Him if He’s still there and will He take Him back?

Entertaining angels in the chorus speaks maybe of the people whom God has sent to be around him, friends and family who know and fear the Lord. People who are sitting with him daily, watching TV with him, loving him back to the place where he falls on his knees and cries out to the Lord.

In the second verse, he is again speaking to his friend, his Jesus. He is remembering those lessons He has taught him and finally, he is silent, waiting to hear the silent breath of God as He breathes His love over him.

The chorus is the same after this but he seems to be beckoning those “angels” or messengers God has sent to his life to continue singing over him, to continue provoking him to return to the Lord.

Maybe I’m way off, maybe I have lost the point completely; however, this is how this song has spoken to me. Perhaps this song is left to be so vague so that it can speak to each individual in their specific situation.

Whatever your situation, I pray that you will keep in mind that we know not when we might be face to face with a messenger of God, be it a family member, a friend or an actual angel.

If I can pray for you today, let me know.


I have posted the lyrics to the song below, if you want to read them:

One to another, do You remember me
I feel so small;Are You listening tonight
So temporary, the things that I have seen
I ran so far,Will you take me back again?

Entertaining Angels
By the light of my TV screen
24/7, You wait for me
Entertaining Angels
By the time I fall to my knees
Host of Heaven, sing over me

One to another, the feelings in between
I won't let go of all you taught me, alright
Close as a brother, the way we used to be
I hold my breath and I wait for You to breathe.

Entertaining Angels
By the light of my TV screen
24/7, You wait for me.
Entertaining Angels
While the night becomes history
Host of Heaven, sing over me.

Entertaining Angels
By the light of my TV screen
24/7, You wait for me.
Entertaining Angels
By the time I fall to my knees
Host of Heaven, sing over me

Entertaining Angels
By the light of my TV screen
24/7, You wait for me.
Entertaining Angels
WHILE THE NIGHT BECOMES HISTORY
Host of Heaven, sing over me.

Entertaining Angels
By the light of my TV screen
24/7, You wait for me.
Entertaining Angels
By the time I fall to my knees
Host of Heaven, sing over me.

No comments: