Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Good morning! I pray today finds you blessed!

This weekend when talking with my 4 year old daughter, she asked me, "Mommy, why do you love me?" Wow! Sometimes it floors me that such a young mind can come up with such profound questions. My initial thought on her question was 'Because you are mine.' But these words did not come out of my mouth because she is NOT mine. She is simply on loan to me to love and to care for by our Father in Heaven. So I told her, "Baby, when God gave you to me, I made Him a promise. I made you a promise. That for as long as you were on this earth, as long as God blessed me with your presence, I would love you and care for you completely and unfailing. Just like I always tell you, I love you for always, in all ways."

She was silent for a few moments. And she said, "Ok, now can we tell princess stories?" I had answered her question and she was happy with the answer. But I continued to think about it long after the phone call was over My resounding question was, "What will my answer be when a non-believer says, 'Kaci, why does God love me?' "

First off, the basic answer to that question can be found in I John 4:8, it is just who He is. The scripture there states it pure and simple "God is love." But to go even deeper than that we go 2 verses down to I John 4:10, Herein is love, not that we loved God, but the He loved us, and sent His son to be the propitiation for our sins." (Propitiation means "atoning sacrifice)

You see, God loved us not because we loved Him, He loved us first. He created us in love. We were created in His image and He is love. It goes back to that first thought about my daughter that I could not say, it is not true of me and my daughter, but it is true of the most high God. I love her because she is a miracle given to me by God. But He loves us simply because we are His. He has no ulterior motive, He has no reason except that He loves us.

Be joyous today, know that no matter what, the King of the universe, the Creator of Heaven and earth, loves you...for always, in all ways.

If I can pray for you today, please let me know.

No comments: