Monday, August 14, 2006

Is the light on?

Is the light on?

Last night, I sat at my computer and giggled as I watched Bethanie opening and shutting the refrigerator, opening and shutting, opening and shutting. I think every child goes through the questioning of whether the light really goes out when you shut the refrigerator door. I couldn't help but enjoy her learning.

I have a book of quotes for mothers and one of my favorite ones is "Some people use the church like a refrigerator: to preserve themselves as they already are. God wants the church to be more like a toaster: heating us up and moving us out into service."

Does your light go out when you leave the church? Matthew 5:16, Jesus tells us "In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." I see so many who shine so bright as long as they are in the building, but, like that light in the fridge, the minute that door shuts, the light is gone. Are we going to hide our light like the children's song says? Are we going to deny the world the joy of seeing His light shine through us?

A few weeks ago, my cousin came to visit me, we got into a discussion, something simple and stupid in the eyes of most people, but a passionate topic to me. She got upset with me and spat out "Jesus Freak" and left. I love my cousin, we have been close since we were little girls. I haven't heard from her since then, but what joy!? If it is that obvious to others that I live my life for the glory of the King, then at least I can say in that moment, the light was shining through me. Do I take it as the insult she intended? No way!! Praise the Lord! I am saddened that I don't talk to my cousin as much as I like, I am disappointed that I haven't heard from her
since then, but I will not hold it against her when I see her next. She will always be the big sister figure I have always seen her as, and I will continue to pray for her and her family. Will I allow my light to dim when I am around her because of her contempt? No, I will allow it to shine more brightly, I will share my joy with her.... Because joy, my friends, is contagious. If someone sees that light, that joy in our lives as Christians, they will want it. Even if you don't speak the name of the Lord in their presence, they will see His love in you and they will want it.

Testify, witness, shine your light...one of my precious friends in my Women of Faith group signs all of her emails saying "Live your life in such a way those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you. " What powerful words those are!

Will you let His light shine through you today??

No comments: