Monday, September 19, 2011

DIY Jewelry Storage

I have been trying to find a way to store my jewelry for some time now. I tried adhesive hooks stuck to the wall, and that didn't go so well. So I have been thinking and thinking and came up with this:
 Sorry for the poor exposure on the picture, but you get the idea anyway. I wanted a way to have my jewelry easily accessible when I am dressing. My husband built me this gorgeous dressing table and I love it for getting ready. He hand bent every piece of iron and we found an old coffee table top for the top (I still haven't decided what color to paint it, that's why it looks so awful. 

I don't want a huge jewelry box sitting on my table. Every one I have ever had, the jewelry gets lost, bunched up and tarnished inside of it. I also couldn't spend a whole lot of money on some of the beautiful Etsy jewelry storage ideas I had found. So I found a $10 curtain rod and a $5 package of window panels and thought, "I could hang this behind my table and use drapery hooks and hang my necklaces and bracelets from the curtain panel."


When I got the curtains hung, they were so pretty, I didn't want to poke the hooks all through them. So I decided to use the rod and it turned out great! Necklaces with the curtain. Any that didn't have a clasp went on the end, so they could be easily accessed.
I hung the bracelets and anklets along the middle so that my view of the mirror wouldn't be blocked. I also hung an old scarf that came with my travel bag on the end to clip my big barrette on. That is where I used the drapery hooks, to hang my bangle bracelets and watch from. 
Then for the earrings, I dug in the cupboard and found an old dollar tree glass the I had gotten a few years back for decoration and hung my hook earrings around the edge and put my rings and a few collectibles inside. (The rings won't be here permanently, as soon as I find a certain thrift store piece I'm looking for, I will post a DIY ring holder as well.) I don't have many pair of post earrings, but those that I do, I poked through the curtain itself at the top where it is thickest and won't run. 
 So, for less than $20, I think I got a pretty and practical way to store my jewelry. If you like it, please share it. If you try it, please post a comment with a link to your pictures, everyone would love to see!! 

2 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

Very cute!

jEnNy said...

I am going to do this in the girls' room. They are bad about not putting their earrings back their earring tree.