Thursday, February 11, 2010

Self-Esteem Makeover Challenge - Week 3 Day 4



Good morning! I pray that today finds you blessed. So now that we are past snowstorms, conventions and grandbabies, I will pick up where we left off. I really do pray that you are enjoying this as much as I am!

Today is building day and today we are building our hair. Eeek, some about passed out just now. I can hear it. “She’s going to tell us we can never cut our hair!” Don’t worry, although I enjoy my long hair, I am not going to tell you that it is wrong to cut yours.

Remember our key verse? I Peter 3:3-4 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." Our great worth does not come from our hair, but our inner beauty. The terms used in this verse “braided hair or gold jewelry” refers to a hairstyle popular in Paul’s day. It was not speaking of simply braiding your hair. Women, in that time, would often immodestly braid their hair, weaving expensive jewelry into it. We know that modesty and moderation are important to God as seen in Phil. 4:5 “Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.”

I Cor. 11:15 tells us “But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.” Now this verse does not say that you must not cut your hair, it simply says that as a woman, God has given us pretty hair as a covering and He calls it our glory. I believe that Paul is simply urging us that we should seek tasteful, attractive and modest styling for our hair. Paul warns in I Timothy 2: 9-10 against seeking vanity “In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.”

Nowhere in the Bible does it forbid modest cutting, curling or styling in a feminine manner. Any style and many lengths of hair are appropriate if its length can be considered a “covering.” We must simply take care of our hair. Not allow it to become one of those things that sabotage our self-confidence. Get a hair cut when we need it. Curl it or fix it up sometimes, and always remember that God Himself called it a “glory” to us.

I know that I am guilty of going the easy way and most days I pull my hair back in a ponytail and call it good. So here is today’s challenge, for me as much as everyone else, take some time to do something new with your hair. Get a hair cut or just have it styled by a beautician or a friend. Maybe you’ll learn a new way to style it for special occasions. Just don’t always wait for a special occasion to make yourself feel pretty. A new hair style always makes me feel good about myself.

No comments: