Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review - The Story of Christmas by Gwen Ellis

I know Christmas is long gone by now and most of you are focusing on Valentine's Day, but I got this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers to review and loved it so much that I just had to share it with you AND one lucky reader or the child of their choice will receive a copy, all you have to do to enter is to leave a comment (be sure to leave your email address) at the end of this message telling us what your favorite children's Christmas book is. I will draw a winner on Friday and notify you by email.

I absolutely love children’s books. So when I got the chance to review this book for Nelson Publishing, I was so excited. The book is The Story of Christmas by Gwen Ellis and it’s just great for preschoolers through about third grade. The book is only about 13 pages, so not too long for small readers with short attention spans. It is written so that the Word of God is so easy for young minds to understand the Christmas story. One of the greatest things is that each two-page spread is a section of the story and ends with a question to get your child to think about what they just heard. Not just simple preschool questions, where the answer is always “God” or “Jesus” or “the Bible”, but a real thought-provoking question, for example, “Why would God want His Son to be born where the animals were kept.” Even had my fifth grader thinking about what God really had planned for this baby in a feed trough.

The book also comes with a wonderful DVD. On the DVD are 6 more Bible stories, such as John the Baptist, Where is Jesus, and Jesus Tempted by Satan, all in the same, easy to understand format for young minds to understand. The illustrations by Steve Smallman are as bright and vivid on the DVD as they are in the book. It also includes ten great coloring pages and desktop wallpaper of the Promised Land.

I think that this book would be a great way to bring in the Christmas Season for any family with small children and could become a family tradition for years to come in my house. I give this book 5 bright shiny stars for ease of reading, beautiful illustration and family friendliness, I would definitely recommend this book to others and have actually purchased extra copies for Christmas gifts for this year.

You can get free books too and become a book review blogger, just click this button
I review for BookSneeze


No comments: