Thursday, October 22, 2009

Feed My Sheep

Most people, when they think "homeless" they think, "Why don't they just go get a job??" Friends, its just not always that easy. You can read about Vaughn and my trip to Colorado to visit Feed My Sheep by clicking here. When we were there, I met a sweet, sweet woman. She had been married to her husband since she was 18 years old. He took care of everything, they had their own business. The husband got sick, all their money went to take care of him. He died. Now that sweet woman, she had no skills, she had no business, she had no savings left and her mortgage was due. She lost everything. The shelter at Feed My Sheep is a place where she can come to learn job skills, wash clothes, get three meals a day and most winters, a warm place to sleep at night.

This is Colorado folks, it gets COLD. Several of these homeless die each year by freezing to death. One died on the steps of the church, trying to find shelter. I learned so much about God in this shelter last year. I believe that we are to go out and meet God's people where they are, wherever they are. Each winter, Feed My Sheep spends $20,000-$30,000 to rent a few hotel rooms for the winter months, they completely empty these rooms of their belongings, and they fill them with as many of these homeless as possible. This is all that some of these guys have.

I'm not asking for you to send this ministry $25,000, but that's what they need. It's already cold there. It's cold beyond my imagination at night. So please, if you can spare that one double espresso a week, that one Big Mac, that one small comfort and join God in ministering to these fellas, I know it will change someone's life, maybe just mine, but I doubt that. They don't know that I'm asking this, but I know that they need the help. You can find their
blog here. If you can help, please send me an email kacilusk@gmail.com

I will end this the same way I ended my last post about this wonderful ministry: Pastor Lee in Colorado taught us that when God gives you a vision, you then begin to pray for laborers. People who have skills or resources that you don’t that God will bring to make the vision come to fruition. Luke 10:2 says, “Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.”

We don’t know who these laborers are, but we pray that you will join us in praying for God to send them.

The vision is simply this: Meeting God's people where they are and sharing His love with them. We don't know exactly what God is doing right now, but we do know that God says if we love Him, we will feed His sheep (John 21:17).

No comments: