Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blessing and Cursing

James 3:8 tells us "But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison."

DEADLY POISON?? Wow, God tells us that our tongue is full of deadly poison. He goes on to say "Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?"

We all have heard some little old lady ask "Do you kiss your Momma with that mouth?" After someone says something hateful and ugly. But we hardly ever give thought to what God has to say about our words before we speak them.

Proverbs 13:3 says, "He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction."

Last night, I wasn't feeling well. What's new, I haven't felt well in over a month. But last night, in my self-pity, in my greif, in whatever feelings I was feeling, I let myself totally lose control. I sat there and said some pretty hurtful things to my sweet husband.

I get mad at people and I lecture them when they make racial remarks or say something bad about someone. I just HATE those things. Words that breed hate are my biggest pet peeve. I am a very sensitive person and I love to love people and most of the time I beleive that if your words aren't filled with love then they shouldn't be spoken. I don't beleive that words that can hurt should ever leave our mouths. I have been taught that they should be held captive before they ever leave our minds. I FEEL THIS WAY WITH A PASSION.

So what happened? I have no excuse. I have no good reason. I didn't feel well. I was tired. I had a bad day. I could say all these things, but do they matter? No! The ugly words I said caused pain. They hurt the man I love and they cannot be taken back. Love bears all things. My husband loves me and has forgiven me. He's a wonderful man and forgives even before I ask it. But me, I have to forgive myself. I must go on and accept that I can't change what happened.

What can I do? I can learn to filter my thoughts through the Love that is Christ before I let them anywhere near my mouth. I can ask God to help me to only say things that build up my beloved.

That's my prayer today. If I can pray for you today, please let me know.

No comments: