Tuesday, January 6, 2009

365: 1/6

I spoke a few days ago about The Love Dare. Here is what the writers of the book have to say:

Unconditional love is eagerly promised at weddings, but rarely practiced in real life. As a result, romantic hopes are often replaced with disappointment in the home, but it doesn't have to stay that way.

The Love Dare, as featured in the new movie Fireproof, is a 40-day challenge for husbands and wives to understand and practice unconditional love. Whether your marriage is hanging by a thread or healthy and strong, The Love Dare is a journey you need to take.

Vaughn and I have taken on the challenge. I won't share with you every aspect of the challenge, but I do hope that you will not only read about our journey through The Love Dare, but join us in it. Check out Fireproof My Marriage and read about the movie Fireproof, learn about The Love Dare, and take on this 40 day challenge in your own marriage. What do you have to lose? 40 days? What if in only 40 days you can improve your marriage?

On day 1 of the challenge, Vaughn and I were able to face one issue that made us both angry. We were able to discuss our feelings about it with one another freely and openly and we were able to resolve a problem that was causing us hurt. Funny thing is, the only challenge on Day 1 is to not say anything negative to your spouse. Awesome how God works, isn't it!?

Today was Day 2. As well as not saying anything negative to your spouse, you are challenged to do something unexpected. My cowboy is a romantic man, so I had no idea what to expect. I had a few small errands to run after work and he called me and told me to hurry up and to come in the front door. I must admit I was intrigued.

I ran my errands as fast as I could and hurried home. Kenny, I am sorry for making our chat so quick, but I knew today's challenge and I am not good with surprises, I just had to see what it was.

So as I open, or rather tried to open the front door, I was stopped, before he would let me in he told me to close my eyes. He led me up the stairs where he had a nice, hot bubble bath waiting for me. When I got out of the tub and came down stairs it was so wonderful, there was music playing, there was dinner on the table and the only light in the whole place was a tiny candle on the table. It was so sweet and so wonderful. It was an obvious gesture of his love for me.

I felt a little silly as I handed him the watch I had bought for him, after he went to such extremes. It wasn't expensive, or fancy, just something that would look nice when he dresses up. I know he enjoys watches, so I thought he would like this one. It's kind of my way of saying, "This watch may run out of time, but our love never will."

Already, in two days, Vaughn and I are finding new depths of love inside this little Love Dare. Even if you have a perfect marriage (even though I have never heard of such a thing) I promise you'll find new ways to love each other if you take this challenge.

Like I said before....I dare you
.

No comments: