Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day



The Bible says Christians are to obey the government (Romans 13). But we must obey God first (Acts 5:29). We are to pray for our political leaders and for those in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-3), and pay taxes (Matthew 22:18-21). Christians should also occupy positions in government, if we follow the Bible's example of Joseph becoming governor of Egypt (Genesis 42:6).

When the Apostles chose seven deacons in the early church they looked for men who were honest, filled with the Holy Spirit, and who had wisdom (Acts 6:3-5). How wonderful it would be if all our politicians had the same qualities. When you vote, try to get as close to this ideal as possible.

I voted today for the first time ever. It was an emotional experience for me. I had never really taken it seriously before now. I think I was probably like many others my age wondering if my vote really, truly counts at all. So I set out to understand what it all really means. The Bible tells us that understanding a thing is important.

What it all really boils down to is that we vote in our state, so one party or the other wins in our state. Then our states “electors” vote in December. Electors are pledged to cast their votes in accordance with the popular vote. So does my vote count? YES! Your vote definitely counts in your state.

No one can tell you who to vote for or what to believe in, just remember that no matter who is elected, God knows already and He has already made provision for it. It is our responsibility to go out and vote. If you did your part, rest assured that God is sovereign and it’s all in His hands. If you haven’t voted, there’s still time, go out and do your part!!

No comments: