Tuesday, November 11, 2008

All Gifts Are From the LORD

I had a child ask me why we thank God for things that other people give to us or that other people do for us. Funny thing is that so many adults don’t know the answer to this question.

First off, I Thess. 5:18 says “In everything, give thanks.”

At least one hundred and thirty-six times in the Bible, the Lord uses the words (or a variation of them) "thanks giving". One hundred thirty-six times. Do you think that God wants us to give thanks? Do you think that God enjoys our praise?

Why should God get thanks for the things other people do for us? God’s Word says in Phil. 2:13 “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” So what causes someone to do something nice for us? God working in them.

Vaughn loves me because God moved his heart to do so. Jud hired me because God worked in his heart to do so. My ex-husband’s new wife and I now get along because God moved in our hearts to do so.

Romans 8:28 says “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” HIS purpose, not ours. If someone decided to give you a gift today, no matter what it is, that gift is given according to God’s purpose, not the purpose of the giver.

I thank God daily for the blessings in my life. I thank Him for His unfailing love for me. I thank Him for salvation, for His perfect gift at the cross. I thank Him for my life, my sweet husband who loves me so much, for my darling children, for my home, my job, my family.

When someone does something nice for you, I hope that you know well enough to thank that person…and now, I pray that you will remember to thank the Lord because “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” James 1:17

Have a wonderful day and if I can pray for you, please let me know. Please remember to pray for Mom’s friends, Steve & Marie, they lost their precious 2 month old grandbaby.

No comments: