Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

Good morning, friends. I come to you today with a heavy heart. I am, by nature, a very sensitive person. So very much so that my mother told me that when I was a little girl I was not allowed to watch cartoons because I would sit in front of the television and weep for the underdog. Last night, for the first time since the tragedy, I was able to sit and watch and read about what has happened. I cannot stop weeping, my heart is utterly broken.

Amidst the pain, loss, and suffering, last night Nightline totally surprised me and unknowingly offered reassurance to the world, if only we will see it. Before I get into what I saw, for those of you who don't know much about Haiti, let's have a short lesson. Haiti is situated on the western part of Hispaniola, the second largest island in the Greater Antilles. It is only about 45 nautical miles from Cuba. By most economic measures, Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas. About 80% of the population were estimated to be living in poverty in 2003. Most Haitians live on $2 or less per day. Most Haitians speak French or Haitian Creole. In the last 10 years, Missions efforts in Haiti have exploded. Missionaries have spread the Word through that country in great ways, and now we come to the reassurance from Nightline.

Last night after church, Vaughn and I sat down for a minute and watched Nightline as they spoke of Haiti. The reporters interviewed several missionaries and then they noted a group of Haitians worshipping in the streets. Can you imagine? Here they are surrounded by thousands upon thousands of their family members, friends and countrymen dead. Their homes are ashes, either by earthquake, aftershock or the following fires which are still burning. They have wounded who are getting nothing but first aid care because the hospital is gone as well. Yet there they were, clapping, jumping up and down and singing to God in Creole. Praising Him for His mercy, provision and His love.

How many of us go through small trials and forget to praise Him through it? God's Word says "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I am not making light of the tragedy and need in Haiti today. There is great need. My heart is absolutely broken and I find myself crying with every update. But I know that none of this took God by surprise. I know that He is and will comfort His people there. I know that we can learn from those Haitians worshipping in the street in the midst of such loss.

If you would like to give, be sure to be careful. Guard yourself against scams. Give to your local Red Cross or go to someplace trustworthy like KLove.com to donate securely.

Remember to praise God through your trials today. Worship Him amidst whatever tragedy you are faced with. And please, please continue to pray for our brothers and sisters in Haiti. I stand in agreement with my sisters in this prayer they posted on Facebook: Jesus make yourself known in Haiti tonight and in the coming days! Be with the believers you've placed there during this time and give them grace to do what you need them to do. Jesus, take care of all your kids in Haiti...bring healing, refuge, food, water, love, rescue and rest and make your name great there! AMEN!

No comments: