Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

Do you remember where you were that morning? I remember it vividly. I was HUGELY pregnant with Miss Bethanie. I was getting ready for work, getting Austin ready for the sitter's. I had Good Morning America on. Then it came, the first announcement. Charlie Gibson, noticeably shaken informed the world that a plane had just crashed into the first tower.

At this point there was no idea why. Maybe it was an equipment failure? Maybe it was a miscalculation? No one even mentioned hijacked planes or terrorism. Being hormonal and pregnant, I cried a little, scooped up my little boy and went on about my morning routine. I prayed for those involved, I checked the TV often and I went on.

By the time I got to work though, the word hung in the air like an sharp sword "Terrorists!" The second tower had been hit and they were sure it was an attack.

An attack? Here? Right here in the US? What!!?? No!!!

By 10:00, my boss had to send me home. They were sending home anyone who had someone there, which I didn't but I was hysterical. "I mean, how could I bring a child into a world like this? How can I subject her to such pain, such fear. such VIOLENCE??? Somebody explain this to me? Please?? I don't understand why someone would do this? What kind of mother am I??"

Wow, as I typed those thoughts, I felt them again...real as that day. I was a mess. I went home and I cried. I held my baby boy, I held my belly with my daughter in it and I cried. I put a picture of the newspaper in my son's scrapbook and I explained it to him the best I could. I cried and I cried. I prayed and I prayed.

About 3 days into the footage and a thousand times of watching the same videos over and over, I couldn't do it anymore. I finally found a flag on eBay and hug it outside and I turned off the TV. I took my son to the park. I called my sister and I cried. I called my mom and I cried. I called my grandma and we prayed.

I went back to work the next week and nothing was the same. Instead of fighting with each other, everyone was unified. Hell-bent and determined not to let the terrorists win. Trusting in God to sort it all out. Praying together. Standing together. The true meaning of United.

Remember friends, when we learned the real meaning of the "United" States? When our firemen and police officers and military came from all over the US to New York to help out? When we sent water and canned food to help out? When we held hands and prayed together? When we baked cookies and took them to the fire station? If you do, don't let it stop. If you don't, maybe its time to start.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to all of our service men and women and to their families! We appreciate all you do for us!!

I leave you with this verse:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chron. 7:14

No comments: